Program from the AICPA and CPA.com expands to include a second cohort focused on ESG solutions
NEW YORK (Feb. 24 2022) – Ten early-stage companies pursuing a variety of solutions in audit, AI, risk reporting, education, and environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues, have been selected to participate in the 2022 Startup Accelerator, sponsored by the American Institute of CPAs (AICPA) and CPA.com. The annual program, now in its fifth year, expanded to include an ESG specific cohort for 2022.
The Startup Accelerator supports the growth of early-stage technology companies throughout the accounting and finance ecosystem. It also provides the AICPA and CPA.com more visibility into disruptive trends from emerging technologies that are transforming the accounting profession. Selected companies receive a $25,000 grant, participate in a six-month curriculum, receive guidance from expert advisors, and have an opportunity to showcase their solutions at AICPA ENGAGE, the profession’s largest conference.
“We created this program five years ago as a way to identify emerging trends and drive innovation within the accounting profession,” said Erik Asgeirsson, president and CEO of CPA.com. “The Accelerator has been a great success, supporting leading-edge companies to help drive the transformation of accounting services in key areas such as blockchain, assurance, ESG and automation.”
The 2022 cohort is comprised of the following technology solutions:
- AuditMiner – The Omaha-based company’s solution leverages automation to streamline and standardize audit workpapers and templates, increasing the quality and consistency of Employee Benefit Plan (EBP) audits across a CPA firm.
- Once Accounting – (formerly BaCo Tech) - Managing clients’ records across multiple platforms can be challenging. Dallas-based Once Accounting is a client integration platform that seamlessly incorporates records into a firm’s tax or accounting solution
- Fieldguide – Based in San Francisco, Fieldguide is an automation and collaboration platform that streamlines the end-to-end engagement workflow for modern risk assurance and advisory firms.
- LumiQ – The Canadian-based company offers a native podcast app where engaging conversations with business leaders count as verified CPE or CPD credits. CPAs and accountants can earn credits on their commute, at the gym or walking their dog.
- Knuula – Client Engagement Letters can be time-consuming and difficult to customize. Knuula, based in Frisco, Texas, streamlines the process by enabling firms to easily customize, distribute and manage client engagement letters.
- Caesar Sustainability – The remote-based company offers a comprehensive data collection and management platform to centralize workflows and data storage for ESG reporting
- ESG Trust – The San Francisco-based company’s integrated data management solution identifies ESG risks opportunities, measures standards, and maps stakeholders to the value chain, streamlining ESG information gathering and collaboration.
- GoodLab – Based in San Francisco, the company’s ESG performance management and compliance software enables organizations to transform their ESG data reporting engine to deliver actionable insights and data to management, investors and customers.
- Sustain Life – The company’s SaaS platform helps companies across industries reduce their environmental impact by providing ESG tools that enable the measurement and management of their carbon emissions.
- Standard Carbon – Carbon is the newest asset class in ESG reporting but has yet to be recognized on the balance sheet. Standard Carbon, based in Winnipeg, Canada, aims to change that by leveraging AI to deliver transparent, carbon offset assurance statements.
“The Startup Accelerator has always been about identifying emerging trends and ESG is a tremendous opportunity for the accounting profession,” said Barry Melancon, CPA, CGMA, president and CEO of the Association of International Certified Professional Accountants. “The expansion of this year’s program to include a second cohort focused on ESG is reflective of the growing opportunity for CPAs and firms to elevate their role as trusted advisors, as well as the Association’s commitment to the space.”
For more information about the startup accelerator, please visit cpa.com/accelerator
CPA.com brings innovative solutions to the accounting profession, either in partnership with leading providers or directly through its own development. The company has established itself as a thought leader on emerging technologies and as the trusted business advisor to practitioners in the United States, with a growing global focus. Our company’s core mission is to drive the transformation of practice areas, advance the technology ecosystem for the profession, and lead technology research and innovation efforts for practitioners.
A subsidiary of the American Institute of CPAs, the company is also part of the Association of International Certified Professional Accountants, the world’s most influential organization representing the profession. For more information, visit CPA.com.
About the American Institute of CPAs
The American Institute of CPAs (AICPA) is the world’s largest member association representing the CPA profession, with more than 431,000 members in the United States and worldwide, and a history of serving the public interest since 1887. AICPA members represent many areas of practice, including business and industry, public practice, government, education and consulting. The AICPA sets ethical standards for its members and U.S. auditing standards for private companies, nonprofit organizations, and federal, state and local governments. It develops and grades the Uniform CPA Examination, offers specialized credentials, builds the pipeline of future talent and drives professional competency development to advance the vitality, relevance and quality of the profession.